WikiOD's text is under a Creative Commons License. This allows free republication to be used by any organization or person for any non-commercial purpose. This helps to achieve our mission of freely offering instructions to everyone throughout the world.
In addition, our license allows for the modification of our content and the creation of derivative works. This guarantees that WikiOD will always be free and community-controlled with the right to fork.
Copyright Violations and Plagiarism on WikiOD[edit source]
Copyright infringement is illegal. We honour other people's copyrights. Not everyone wants to contribute their content to WikiOD and freely distribute it under our Creative Commons License.
When you suspect a violation, do the following:
- Assume good faith. It may be that the copyright holder of the content is trying to share their content with us. If their WikiOD username matches with the author or webmaster name on the linked website, or if the contributor's WikiOD profile states that they are the owner of the copied website, it's safe to assume that the person who put up the content is the copyright holder. Move the link down to the "Sources and Citations" section, write "Original source, shared with permission" after the URL, and leave a note for the contributor such as this one:
- I'm assuming the link you put in Name of Tutorial is to your website. If that's the case, don't forget to write "Original source, shared with permission" right after the link. This tells our editors that it's you're deliberately sharing the content on WikiOD. Otherwise, they might think it was copied without permission, or that it's a spam link (both of which could get the page deleted). Now, if that link isn't from your site, you might want to glance over our external links policy to see how we handle external links. It's also worth looking to see if the information copied is already under a compatible license, such as Creative Commons or public domain.
- If you still suspect the person copied the content from another source without permission, please send us via email@example.com and will also put the article in a category of potential copyright violations to be reviewed by an administrator.
- If the editor is not a registered user, contact the original website, via e-mail, to confirm permission. E.g. "Someone posted content on WikiOD that is very similar to yours: (URL) Was it you, or someone you gave permission to do this?" Wait for a response. If the contributor has permission from the copyright holder, ask them to forward it to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you receive no response, or if the copyright holder informs you that the content was posted without permission, make note of that on the discussion page and, if you are an admin, delete the tutorial. If you are not an admin, just leave a discussion page comment and the page will get deleted when it gets reviewed by an admin who reviews the category of potential copyright violations.
Image Copyrights[edit source]
- Unfortunately, the vast majority of images found on the Internet are not freely licensed.
- Images without appropriate attribution and licensing information will be deleted from WikiOD.