Getting started with google-app-engine
Google AppEngine (GAE) is a Platform as a Service (PaaS) that provides the ability to deploy applications at “Google Scale”. It is one of the many services on Google Cloud Platform (GCP). Developers can integrate other services such as Google Cloud Storage (GCS) and Google Cloud SQL on GCP easily. Developers can write a set of code that runs locally and can easily be deployed on Google Cloud Platform.
A birds eye view of getting started with AppEngine includes the following:
- Install the SDK for your preferred language (Go, Python, Java, PHP, Node.js(in Beta))
- Use the SDK to scaffold an application & develop locally
- Deploy the same code that runs locally, to a scalable runtime environment
The AppEngine SDK can also be installed using the Google Cloud SDK:
- Install the Google Cloud SDK
- Initialize the Google Cloud SDK
- Authorize the Google Cloud SDK
- Install the GAE components. For python user,
and for go user,
gcloud components install app-engine-python app-engine-python-extras
For other languages, use
gcloud components install app-engine-go
gcloud components listto get the list of installed and available components.
- After awhile, the GAE SDK will be installed.
Other useful links:
- Formal Google Documentation