What is Ubuntu?
Ubuntu is an open source software platform that runs everywhere from the smartphone, the tablet and the PC to the server and the cloud.
Why use Ubuntu for development?
- The fastest route from development to deployment on desktop, mobile, server or cloud
- The desktop of choice for developers at some of the world’s leading technology companies
- The broadest and best development tools and libraries
- Lightweight to either run natively or in a VM, on a PC or a Mac
- Ideal for any resource-intensive environment
Ubuntu is the world's most popular open source OS for development
Ubuntu is used by thousands of development teams around the world because of its versatility, reliability, constantly updated features, and extensive developer libraries.
If you’re managing developers, Ubuntu is the best way to increase your team’s productivity and guarantee a smooth transition from development all the way to production. Ubuntu is the world’s most popular open source OS for both development and deployment, from the data centre to the cloud.
And, as the Ubuntu OS converges, these same applications will be able to run on desktop, tablets, phone and even on the Internet of Things — one application across Ubuntu’s full range of devices.
Source: www.ubuntu.com → Ubuntu Desktop for developers