What is SAPUI5?
The SAP UI development toolkit for HTML5 is a user interface technology that is used to build and adapt client applications. The runtime is a client-side HTML5 rendering library with a rich set of standard and extension controls and a lightweight programming model.
There are two flavours, OpenUI5 (the Open Sourced version) and SAPUI5 (the original licenced version). Both have the same technical core mechanisms and are collectively referred to as UI5.
UI5 provides many features to enable you to easily create and extend state-of-the-art user interfaces:
- It supports CSS3, which allows you to adapt themes to your company’s branding in an effective manner
- It is based built-in extensibility concepts at code and application level
- It uses the open source jQuery library as a foundation
- It fully supports SAP product standards
- It offers extensive responsive controls to create platform independent user interfaces with less effort
- It offers full Translation/i18n support
- It features the Fiori Design language that is based on extensive UX research
You can get your first UI5 page started here. Also for more information see the developer guide and API reference, available in the respective SDK references: OpenUI5 SDK, SAPUI5 SDK. Demo Apps can be found be here