Getting started with akka
Installation or Setup
- Install JDK 8 (Windows, Linux) and set the path (Windows).
- Install Scala (Linux), For Windows visit http://www.scala-lang.org/download/ download and install binary distribution, set the environment variable for scala in PATH which is in
- Installing Typesafe activator (It contains Scala, Akka, Play, SBT) + project scaffolding and templates. For quick start download the
- Extract the Typesafe activator and set the PATH to
activator-x.x.xx-minimal\bin(It includes the bash and bat scripts to run the activator).
- Time to create a sample project and import into your favorite IDE.
activator newin cmd/terminal.
- You can choose
4because Hello World example is based on Scala.
- Import the project to your favorite IDE and start with the Hello World example.
- Done !.
Download akka-2.0.zip distribution of Akka from http://akka.io/downloads/
Unzip akka-2.0.zip in any directory. (Example - /home/USERNAME/tools/akka-2.0) You would like to have Akka installed.
# First got to the installed location cd /home/USERNAME/tools/akka-2.0 # Export the location as AKKA_HOME export AKKA_HOME=`pwd` # Check if PATH is Exported. echo $AKKA_HOME /home/USERNAME/tools/akka-2.0
# First got to the installed location C:\USERNAME\akka> cd akka-2.0 # Set the location as AKKA_HOME C:\USERNAME\akka\akka-2.0> set AKKA_HOME=%cd% # Check if PATH is Exported. C:\USERNAME\akka\akka\akka-2.0> echo %AKKA_HOME% C:\USERNAME\akka\akka-2.0